Sunday, January 8, 2012

College Advisers Are Useless?

Maybe it's just this way at my school but the college advisers are useless. I was supposed to take a cl called ENG305 which apparently used to be called ENG308. The name was changed and my adviser didn't believe me when I said it was now ENG305. I even printed out an official letter from the dean confirming the change in name. She didn't believe me and told me to stop making things up. She also scolded me for only taking cles only on tuesdays/thursdays. She said it was "very unusual". I had to spend an hour explaining that I car pooled with my friend and all of our cles have to be on the same days. I don't own a car so I don't have a choice. It's not just me either. My friend's adviser aggressively demanded to know why she wasn't interested in studying abroad. He practically brought her to tears as she explained that she couldn't afford it. At my school advisers are mandatory and they have all the power. They have to approve your schedule each semester otherwise you can't sign up for cles. You can only sign up for cles they approve. If a cl is full you have to go back to them and ask permission to sign up for a different class. I have another friend who's adviser wouldn't approve his request to take a summer class. Her reasoning? "Graduating early isn't in your best interest." That makes no sense. How do advisers treat students this way and get away with it? It seems to be a big problem at my school.

No comments:

Post a Comment